NSW State Government has changed legislation in relation to clearing of native vegetation. The Biodiversity Conservation Act, together with the Biodiversity Conservation Regulation 2017, outlines the framework for assessment and approval of biodiversity impacts associated with developments that require consent under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
The Act introduces a Biodiversity Offsets Scheme. A development to which the Biodiversity Offset Scheme applies will be required to prepare a Biodiversity Development Assessment Report to accompany a development application.
More information on the Biodiversity Offsets Scheme is available.
- Biodiversity Offsets Scheme – provides an introduction to the Scheme.
- How does the Biodiversity Offsets Scheme work – provides more detail about key elements of the Scheme, including serious and irreversible impacts and the offset rules.
- For access to relevant systems and registers that support the operation of the scheme, see Biodiversity Offsets and Agreement Management System and registers.
- NSW Local Government Biodiversity Policy
- Local government resources for biodiversity conservation and management