Plumbing & Drainage

The NSW Department of Fair Trading licenses plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989. All plumbing and drainage work must be completed by a person who holds a licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate. Inspections are also undertaken to ensure that NSW plumbing and drainage works comply with the relevant technical standards and regulations.

To be able to carry out plumbing and drainage work you must first seek approval from Council (the Water and Sewer Authority) under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993.

Required forms to be submitted to Council can be obtained from NSW Department of Fair Trading