Principle Certifying Authority

The PCA must be appointed by the ‘person having the benefit of the development consent’ – this means you as the owner and not your builder. It would probably be the same person or firm that issued your CC, but does not have to be – as with your CC, it can be a registered certifier or your council as PCA.

The PCA’s job is to work with you through the construction process and issue you with an Occupation Certificate (OC) when the work is completed. To make this decision, the PCA inspects the development at various points in the build and ultimately ensures that the building is safe and fit to occupy and in accordance with the development consent and CC.

As of the 1 July 2021, a PCA must be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal.