Animal Control

Contact Details


Please note, the Ranger does not attend private residences to remove animals.

  • Telephone: (02) 4845 4149 (during business hours)
  • After Hours: 0428 644 160 (stock call outs only - we will not respond to complaints regarding dogs outside of business hours)

Environment & Planning Department

The Companion Animals Act 1998

Did you know ?

The average number of litters a fertile dog can produce: 2 a year.
Average number of puppies in a litter: 6 - 10
Number of dogs in six years one female dog and her offspring can produce: 67,000 dogs

Average number of litters a fertile cat can produce: 3 a year.
Average number of kittens in an average feline litter: 7 - 10
Number of cats in seven years one female cat and her offspring can produce: 420,000 cats

Frequently asked Questions

Do all companion animals have to be microchipped and registered ?

Yes - the only exceptions are cats that were owned prior to July 1999, working dogs, trained assistance dogs and greyhounds which are registered with the Greyhound Control Board.

Why do I have to register my pet as well as have it microchipped ?

Microchipping is the first step to registering your pet. Registration provides the link between you and your pet that enables it to be returned home if lost. By registering your animal you can help make sure that you have benefit of community information, assistance and regulation to ensure your rights and needs are protected.

If I want to breed from my dog, what should I do ?

As a breeder, your first responsibility is for the welfare of the parent animal and kittens or puppies. It is important that all new animals go to a good home. However, under the Companion Animals Act you must also ensure that all kittens and puppies are microchipped by the time they are twelve weeks of age or earlier if you are selling or giving them away. At six months of age they must be registered.

What are the registration fees for cats and dogs ?

The following fees apply for lifetime registration in New South Wales (July 2017 - June 2018).

  • Not desexed - $201
  • Desexed - $55
  • Not desexed kept by recognised breeder for breeding purposes - $55
  • Desexed and owned by eligible Pensioner - $23
  • Animal under 6 months not desexed - $55
  • Pound/Shelter animal 50% discount (desexed) - $27.50
  • Working dog - $0

You will need to bring proof that your dog or cat has been desexed to be eligible for the Desexed charges.

Registration Form

Lifetime Registration Form (PDF)

How to change Owner/Details and/or Address

If the ownership of the animal changes you are required to complete a Change of Owner/Details form and submit it to Council.

Change of Owner/Details (PDF)

If your address/contact details change you are required to complete a Change of Address Notice form and submit it to Council.

Change of Address Notice (PDF)

Is there a limit on the number of dogs I can own ?

No - there is no limit provided the animals are properly cared for and do not cause a nuisance, health or safety risk to other members of the community.

Does my dog (or cat) have to be desexed ?

No - the desexing of cats and dogs is not compulsory in NSW. However the benefits of desexing include reducing the likelihood that your pet will stray, reduce fighting and aggressive traits and reduce antisocial behaviour such as spraying to mark territory.

Will I be fined if my dog barks ?

Yes, but only if there is a serious problem. Persistently barking dogs are one of the main sources of complaints received by Councils.A great deal of disruption and unhappiness can be caused by dog that persistently barks, intruding on neighbours and disrupting sleep. Dogs often bark out of boredom or frustration when confined or chained up. Ensure your animal is well nourished and well exercised and the problem should be reduced.

Can my dog be taken from my property ?

Yes - as a reserve measure to be used in limited circumstances. A dog can be taken away if it has attacked or bitten a person or other animal and then only if the owner is not present or cannot bring it under control.

What is a nuisance animal ?

The behaviour of some companion animals which are not responsibly owned can represent a serious inconvenience and at times a danger to other members of the community. If a dog is habitually at large, repeatedly defecates on a neighbours property, repeatedly chases vehicles or causes damage to peoples property, it can be declared a nuisance dog. A similar offence applies to cats. Council may issue a nuisance order which requires the owners to stop the dog or cat from continuing the nuisance behaviour. The order remains in force for six months. If the owner fails to stop the behaviour a fine will be issued.

What is a dangerous dog ?

A small proportion of dogs are known to attack and kill without provocation. Others repeatedly threaten to attack or repeatedly chase a person or animal. Under the Act, these dogs can be declared Dangerous Dogs by Council. The owner of a dog that has been declared dangerous must comply with strict conditions on the control of the animal including desexing. Failure to comply with the conditions will see hefty fines being imposed. More details about the conditions can be obtained from Council.

What is a Restricted Breed ?

Five breeds of dogs are considered to be restricted breeds. They are:

  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • American Pit Bull Terriers
  • Japanese Tosas
  • Argentinian Fighting Dogs
  • Brazilian Fighting Dogs

Owners of these dogs breeds are required to comply with similar conditions to those applying to dangerous dogs.Under no circumstances should one of these dogs be sold or given to someone under 18 years of age. They must be kept in childproof enclosures and must be muzzled and leashed when in public.

Off Leash Areas

Council nominated "Off Leash Areas" are:

  • Crookwell - Willis Reserve
  • Gunning - Endeavour Park (excluding the main oval)
  • Gunning - Wilton Lane

Australian Companion Animal Council

The Australian Companion Animal Council (ACAC), with the support of the Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) and the ASAVA, has recently released the brochures, Renting with Pets and Tenants with Pets, along with Pet Application & Agreement Forms.  These documents are available to download from the website